Being a student of psychology for decades, I’m still reading anything I can find, old or new, to help me better understand myself and others.
Most recently I devoured Sanity, Insanity, and Common Sense, a 1987 book by Rick Suarez, Roger Mills, and Darlene Stewart.
The book describes a “Psychology of Mind” that I love.
Today you can easily find books echoing the principles in Sanity, Insanity, and Common Sense but I love the original for more or less introducing the ideas to the mental health community back in the 1980s.
In short, the four key points in the book (in my own words) are these:
1. Thought shapes reality.
2. Each person lives in a separate reality.
3. There are levels of consciousness.
4. Feelings and emotions reveal the level of consciousness.
By themselves, standing stark naked on the page, they may not seem like much.
You may have even heard of them before.
But let’s go deeper:
1. Thought shapes reality.
You know this one. You’ve heard it from me and other authors. But to bring it alive, you have to realize that your thoughts are creating your reality right now. No matter what your explanation is for your life, it is being created mostly by thought. Yes, you have behaviors and actions, but they are first triggered by thoughts. Thought comes first. Thought shapes reality. Thought is where you change reality.
2. Each person lives in a separate reality.
This was a major a-ha insight for me. The authors prove that each person lives in a perceived reality created by their unique set of thoughts. Their perception creates their version of reality. You do it. I do it. We all do it. But virtually no one is aware that they do it. Understanding that the people you deal with aren’t thinking like you, and they in fact view the world differently than you do, explains the challenge we have in communicating with and understanding each other. You are from one planet; I am from another. Now, let’s talk. See the problem?
3. There are levels of consciousness.
More recent authors, such as the late David Hawkins, have explained that there are levels of awareness or consciousness. Lower levels are where you’ll find revenge, greed, depression. Higher levels are where you experience love, compassion, understanding. Just knowing there are levels can help you understand your life in any moment. If you are feeling down, you need to think-do-be something up the ladder of consciousness. It may be as simple as taking a nap. It may be a need for a new mental frame for what you are experiencing. The idea, of course, is to live from higher states of consciousness. You’ll be happier there. And so will everyone around you.
4. Feelings and emotions reveal the level of consciousness.
I loved this insight, as well. It makes it easier to spot your own level of consciousness. If you are in a bad mood, or feeling angry or insecure, you have dropped to a lower level. If you feel happy, loving, friendly, then you went higher. In other words, your very feelings are the indicators of your current spot on the levels of consciousness. Your thought created those feelings, but you can use the feelings/emotions to hone in on the originating thought that you might now need to change.
As Sanity, Insanity, and Common Sense explained, awareness alone is a profound tool for awakening and understanding, and for greater motivation and productivity.
Because the 1987 book was written for mental health professionals, the authors used examples from management, therapy, hospitals and other organizations to show that old ways of trying to change will always fail because they usually don’t take into account the Psychology of Mind.
What’s needed at home and at work is awareness of how thought works, how it creates separate realities in different people, how our emotions reveal our place in consciousness, and more.
One thing to keep in mind is that when you (or anyone) drops into a lower level of consciousness, the key feeling you experience is insecurity.
And when you (or anyone) feel insecure, you won’t think or act clearly.
At that point, you will be unhappy (though you may call it sad, mad, or any other word to describe it).
And this is why the book is subtitled “The Groundbreaking New Approach to Happiness.”
It’s a guide to mental health, and mental health is described as a higher consciousness state of happiness.
A few gems from the book to chew on:
“The fact is that in separate realities, everyone is right and everyone is telling the truth as they see it.”
“Stress is a byproduct of thinking; it is not inherent in situations or circumstances.”
“A reality is an apparency. It is how something appears to be.”
So, your reality is different because your thoughts are different.
And you can use your feelings to reveal your thoughts.
In other words, if you feel “low” or “off,” it simply tips your place in thought.
You’ve heard the answer before: change your thinking.
Or if you are frustrated by someone performing poorly at work or school or home, your understanding of their thought and their reality, can bring you more compassion and understanding in dealing with them.
And ultimately, throughout all this dance of partners in separate realities, we have to remind ourselves that the one who needs to change is YOU.
This is very similar to the theory explained in my bestselling book with Dr. Hew Len, Zero Limits, as well as the eye-opening sequel, AT Zero.
You are entirely responsible for what you perceive.
Because what you perceive is through your mindset.
You filter objective reality through your mindset/paradigm/beliefs and what you actually see is your own version of reality.
The thing is, your neighbor is doing the same thing.
And so is your boss.
And your spouse.
It takes understanding and compassion to guide ourselves through this maze, but the authors point out that when you lift your own mindset to higher consciousness, then you will more clearly see where others are, and you will more naturally influence them lovingly and organically.
I loved the book but am not asking you to go read it. (The book is now out of print, but you can find used copies on eBay and Amazon.)
Instead, absorb the four principles of the Psychology of Mind and note how you feel throughout the day.
Just stop and take stock.
What are you feeling?
Your feeling is an indicator of your state of consciousness, and your consciousness can be changed with a thought.
What do you think?
PS – I’ve written about these concepts in numerous places. You might want to check out The Awakening Course.
What are the best answers to these questions –
* How do you profit from your passion?
* How do you follow your soul and make a good living?
* How do you erase all beliefs of lack and limitation?
The answers are inside my magnum opus, which is hitting bookstores today.
I am so happy and giddy about it that I can barely type.
Because this is THE book you will want to go get right now to understand how to profit from your life mission.
It is a fiery manifesto designed to shake, stir and awaken you – and I mean AWAKEN you.
The Awakened Millionaire is a practical manifesto guiding you to new dimensions of personal wealth, spiritual growth, and as a result, global transformation.
It’s about discovering your own unique purpose, and following it to make a difference in your own life and in the lives of all you touch.
It reveals –
* What you should be doing with money, and the answer isn’t hoarding it
* Why you need to stop selling what you have and start sharing its benefits
* How to always accomplish your goals by turning failure into feedback
* Why your obstacles are your greatest assets to achievement
* Why investing in yourself means consistently changing for the better
One reader wrote –
“While most consider money and spirituality a blasphemous duo, Dr. Vitale shatters these social norms and shows you the true nature of money empowered with soulful purpose. At turns inspirational, motivational, and conversational, this page-turner ultimately narrows in on practical steps anyone can use to see instantaneous results, regardless of your past failures, current financial situation, or future goals.”
You can probably feel my own passion for transforming the world with this manifesto I’ve put my heart and soul into.
You can go get The Awakened Millionaire as a printed hardcover book, or on audio (read by me), or for your Kindle reader.
Go get it at your favorite book store —
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-awakened-millionaire-joe-vitale/1123256119?ean=9781119264187
I’m on a mission to awaken the planet.
Together, we can do it.
Will you join me?
PS – Ask for The Awakened Millionaire wherever books are sold. Thank you. 🙂
In case you want to work with me in person, letting me help you personally with my three decades of marketing and metaphysical experience, here are three ways to do it —
1. On May 28th I am holding a private mastermind event in Austin, Texas. It will be a half-day of brainstorming with me and nine other people. It is a powerful way to profit from the group energy and the group’s experience, combined with my own. The fee is $5,000. Write [email protected] for details, availability, etc.
2. If you would prefer a one-on-one mastermind, with just you and me, working together on your life and business, then you might want to consider the Phantom Mastermind. While I sold my Rolls-Royce, I have a brand new 2016 Bentley that we can drive to dinner in, and then spend three or four hours focused on you and your desires. The fee is $7,500. To register, write [email protected] The site explaining it is – https://www.mrfire.com/phantom/
3. If you want year-long personal mentoring by me, with monthly meetings by phone or Skype, then you might consider my Gullwing Mastermind. This is a major commitment of time and money, but clearly it could obviously transform your life and business forever. Write [email protected] Details are at — http://blog.mrfire.com/whats-your-gullwing/
And if you want a far less investment to get some insights and inspiration from me, consider my new Awakened Millionaire Academy. You can have lifetime access for only a one-time investment. Details at — http://awakenedmillionaireacademy.com/join-12/
Choose your path to success.
Write [email protected] with any questions.
PS – If you feel all of the above are beyond your reach at this time, then be sure to go read The Miracles Manual: The Secret Coaching Sessions. All three volumes are yours, free, over at – http://www.miraclesmanual.com
Note: All prices are good at the time of this posting and may change at any time.
I don’t watch movies about zombies or vampires, not unless there’s some comedy in it or a psychological insight about the rest of us, but recently I watched a documentary called, How to Be a Billionaire, which got me thinking about zombies.
Let me explain:
The three billionaires featured in the film are all big thinkers.
And I’m talking BIG.
They are not zombies at all.
One wants to create passenger flights to the moon (!) for you to take your sweetie for a honeymoon. At the same time, he wants to bring back ore from the moon and sell it back here on Earth as a precious metal. He expects it to be a trillion dollar business.
Another created a social media site with his wife and sold it for $850,000,000. Apparently AOL saw the value in it for reaching millions of people. But when it bombed under the new ownership, the couple who originated the site bought it back – for only $1,000,000. They are now investing in even more businesses and revamping their own original software.
Yet another billionaire is creating life-like looking robots of people like you, with the idea of eventually installing your consciousness in them (!) so you can live forever. Yes, he’s really working on this attempt at immortality.
Each of these billionaires is thinking so big, it may appear insane.
In fact, one of the billionaires said, “If you go to a party and tell your idea to people and they don’t think you’re crazy, then you’re not thinking big enough.”
That’s so important, I want to repeat it –
“If you go to a party and tell your idea to people and they don’t think you’re crazy, then you’re not thinking big enough.”
Besides thinking on a scale most people never entertain, none of the billionaires were pursuing their dreams for the money.
They felt the dream and the pursuit were more important than the money, though they welcome the money to continue the dream and the pursuit.
It reminded me of Walt Disney’s famous quote, “I want to make money from my movies so I can continue making movies.”
All of this got me thinking about my own mission in life.
Am I thinking big enough?
In April I’ll be releasing my new book and new online course, called The Awakened Millionaire.
The book is a manifesto written to set a fire under people to ignite them to go for their dreams, pursue them with passion, and be OK profiting from them, too.
The book is a stir to action subtitled “A Manifesto for the Spiritual Wealth Movement.”
The online course will be through The Awakened Millionaire Academy, and will be a complete how-to on transforming yourself into an Awakened Millionaire.
I’m psyched about all of this, but the documentary made me question how big I was thinking.
The billionaires thought in terms of reaching a billion or more people.
I was thinking in terms of reaching a million.
Obviously, I need to think bigger.
As I brainstormed ideas on how to elevate and expand my dream, I thought of “Zombie Millionaires.”
It would be a great book.
Probably a great movie.
I doubt I’ll do either, but the idea of Zombie Millionaires made me realize that most people pursuing money are like zombies.
They are dead to their dream.
They are sleepwalking through life.
They have stuck beliefs about money.
What if I awakened the zombies of the world with my new book and online course?
I’m kidding around on one level and expanding my mind on another.
I know a fellow making a movie about zombies who learn meditation. It’s his clever way to get people to practice meditation by drawing them in with a story about zombies.
Whatever I do with all this isn’t important.
What you do with it is.
So, are you thinking big enough?
Are you reaching a million people?
What would you do if you thought like a billionaire and were devoted to service and making a difference on a grand scale?
What would you do if you were an Awakened Millionaire?
PS – If you want to know more about how to become an Awakened Millionaire, please go see http://awakenedmillionaireacademy.com/
A while back a delightful woman asked me some questions for an online magazine for Czech readers. She published the exchange at http://www.kofibrejkonlajn.cz/pozitivni-mysleni/36-exkluzivni-rozhovor-muzete-mit-vse-po-cem-touzite-rika-joe-vitale.html I thought you’d be interested in reading it in English:
1. Dear Joe, thank you very much for making this possible. You probably don’t know that but you are successful in the Czech republic too. We know you from The Secret and we have access to the most of your books. I read and I also heard it on one of your audio sessions that you were homeless once and now you have this amazing life and career that people usually dream of. I know that this didn’t happen over night but tell us what was “IT” that changed your life. Was it a person, a book or…your inner voice?
People have often asked me what was “it” that changed my life. The right answer is “Everything!” I did EVERYTHING. I read books, listened to audios, attended events, kept working on myself, trying, failing, learning, improving and more. I had to DO IT ALL to become successful. There was no “one” thing. Certain books helped me, such as Claude Bristol’s The Magic of Believing. But largely, it was doing whatever seemed like the right next thing to do that got me here.
2. What were you dreaming about as a child? Do you remember?
Oh, yes, I remember. I wanted to be a magician. I was going to be like Harry Houdini, and be famous for my great magic and stunts. I also thought I might be a baseball player, and be known player like Babe Ruth. I also thought about being an author. Since I always loved books, and still do today, becoming a writer seemed like my best bet.
3. I read and watched The Secret, which was the first platform for people in the Czech republic to find out about the Law of Attraction. I started practising the LOA, but I was suddenly afraid of my thoughts, because I couldn’t control them. I also felt that the book was only the introduction to the whole philosophy of the manifestation. There were things that were missing, which left me looking for more information. The “ Action” part was also never mentioned and I felt that only visualizing would not get me too far. If you could list 3 things that people should do every day to manifest all they want in their lives, what would they be…?
This is a big question. I think The Secret and other books and movies are just introductions to the Law of Attraction. There’s much more to learn. I have entire courses, like The Missing Secret, and my Miracles Coaching program, to help people understand these deep concepts. If I had to list three things to do, they’d be:
1. State your intention. What do you want?
2. Get clear. When negative thoughts arise, realize they are just thoughts and don’t feed them.
3. Take action. Results are a co-creation of what you do and what the Universe does through others.
4. I read your Hypnotic marketing and hypnotic writing and I have to say it is very powerful. It hasn’t been translated to Czech language yet unfortunately. I hope that it will be soon after we publish this interview. Where do you get your inspiration for you books? Do you first test everything and then write about it.
I get ideas from everywhere. I read a tremendous amount and get ideas from what I read. i also have inspirations and follow through on them, testing them on myself first. If they work for me, I share them with others. I see myself as a scout who rides ahead of everyone, tries out what he sees, and then returns and shares his secrets with others.
5. In our magazine Kofibrejkonlajn.cz (coffeebreakonline –but written in a funny way) we also write about procrastination, work ethic…and so on. You are the author of so many books, you teach, do online seminars, travel the world, you are a musician with 4 albums; it seems to me, that you don’t have a problem with procrastination. Or if you have, you sure know how to beat it Can you give us some advice or tips on how to be productive? (please tell us also about your daily routine if you have any)
This is another big subject. People who procrastinate are doing one of two things: They are either afraid of failure or success, or they are trying to do something too big. In other words, people have unconscious beliefs about success. They may fear it or they may fear the opposite of it, failure. Either way, they will hesitate to take any action to protect themselves.
Also, if people are trying to create a big project, they may feel overwhelmed and stop. They need to break down the big project into little steps; something they can do each day to make progress. I work every day on my goals. I read every day, write every day, exercise every day, meditate every day, and rest every day. Living and doing moment by moment, I achieve massive results. Anyone can do this.
6. As you are a “guru” for millions of people through your work, we think that even a “guru” needs his own “guru” sometimes. Is there an author or a person that inspires you?
I have MANY authors who inspire me, from Bruce Barton and Vash Young to Debbie Ford and more. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Mark Twain also inspire me.
7. You meet lots of people through your live and online seminars, and they talk about their struggle with money, in relationships, or at work…. what do you tell them? Is that one thing that you want them to always remember?
I tell them “This, too, will pass.” In other words, what you are struggling with will pass, what you are worried about will pass. It’s the nature of life to move things along and change them. But you can accelerate that change by focusing on what you want, clearing yourself of limiting beliefs, and taking action. The sun will rise again. It always does.
8. What are you working on now?
Numerous things. I have two new books coming out: “The Miracle” and “The Awakened Millionaire.” I have new music coming out, on top of the 15 albums I’ve already recorded. I have an Authorship Program about to be released, to help first time authors get published in 12 weeks. I’m of course always working on my Miracles Coaching program. And most recently I have become interested in strongman feats of strength. I have been bending horseshoes, nails and spikes, and steel bars. I may write a book about it. I’m enjoying life.
9. Would you be interested in coming to Prague to have a workshop or a seminar? Do you travel to Europe often?
YES! I would LOVE to visit there. I have been to Europe many times, and love the countries and their people.
PS – New book coming April 2016: